Friday, December 3, 2010

Reflection on North Korea

North Korea fired artillery at South Korea and claimed it was a "response" to South Korea's naval drills. Heightened tensions have frightened people into thinking that this could be the beginning of war.

I don't think this is war, but I think it is a way for North Korea to display its power and capabilities after being pushed to the back burner by sanctions. North Korea might have felt the need to assert its still existing power in the global sphere.

Also, traveling home for Thanksgiving made me think of the TSA and their new security measures. When I arrived home, my family asked me if I was "felt up" by the TSA. I told them that security wasn't any different from what I have experienced before, but I did hear about the pat downs and body scanners that the TSA was now using and people's protests about the new security measures. It is interesting to see how people support increased security to keep them safe from attacks, but once this security creeps up on their civil liberties it is no longer appealing. It creates a double standard. People want to be protected, but don't like certain protection measures implemented.

2 comments:

  1. I agree with what you said about the TSA and I personally agree. I, Gabe Fridkis, could care less if I'm body scanned or "felt up" because I know it is for the greater good, for my own safety. But on principal, I take issue with it. Not on the "indecency" level but on the nanny laws level. Germany didn't turn Nazi overnight, it was a series of small but significant steps that pushed the status quo just enough to fulfill Hitler's plan but not so extreme as to startle the people. Slowly but surely the morality of Germany was stretched beyond recognition to the point that they could stand idly by while something like the holocaust happened.

    Now don't jump down my throat and say I'm comparing Obama to Hitler because I'm not. All I'm saying is that as a nation we have to draw the line somewhere and even if that line isn't TSA body scanners, it is still a step

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have to disagree with Gabe's point. Sure, the new full body scanners are not exactly pleasant, and I somewhat agree with the fact that it could infringe on peoples rights, but I fail to see how it correlates to Nazi Germany and Hitler. I just did a paper on this subject for College Writing, and it is completely evident that Hitler got his power because he took a Germany that was destroyed by war and left with the debt, and gave them hope that they could be better, or in fact, that they were the best. Then, while everyone is rejoicing at the improving status of Germany as a world power, Hitler slips the Enabling act through the Reichstag's fingers and oh, wow, now Hitler is a dictator.
    These security measures, even if they do make people squirm, are to some extent necessary because of all the plane bomb threats that have happened in the past decade. It is not an attempt for the leaders of the US to take complete totalitarian rule over the US, and it is not trying to call the US morality into question.

    ReplyDelete